City Nippers is a water safety programme packed with all the things your family loves about the NZ summer.
Across the series of 5 x 2hr sessions your 5-11 year olds work through super fun water safety sessions and we encourage you to join in!
City Nippers is a dynamic and interactive programme for children delivered by Surf Lifeguards which provides surf safety and beach awareness for 5 to 11 year olds. This programme will introduce your child to the open water environment and build their confidence in the sea so they can safely enjoy New Zealand's favourite playground.
This summer City Nippers is offering 5 session programmes over the January School holidays at 3 Auckland locations and for the first time City Nippers Getway will also be running in Northland!
Each course consists of 5 vibrant fun-filled, 2-hour beach sessions (4 sessions if there is a public holiday). Surf Lifeguards will teach your child(ren) water safety messages and skills.
The five sessions are:
• Beach Awareness: all the surf safety skills and messages that make a summer swimmer savvy
• Safe Boating by Coastguard Boating Education: everything your little ones need to be smart nippers at sea
• Rips and Rescues: Getting yourself or someone else out of a sticky situation and thinking ahead to avoid risky situations altogether!
• Floatilla: All things on top of the water, body boards, surfboards, paddle boards knee board (BYO boards welcome bu not necessary)
• Coastal Carnival: Get a taste of What a Surf Life Saving Carnival (competition) is all about with added fun games and quizzes to check the knowledge and skills learnt over the week.
All sessions have swimming lessons, fun games, quizzes and races so we know they have the basics for your summer adventures.
This season we are switching it up:
Nippers (8-11 yr olds) are first up for their two hour session followed by a 30 min break then the Tadpoles (5-7 yr olds) burn some energy on the beach
The more parents we have in the water and participating in games, the more fun everyone has so bring your tribe and make a week of it. Lifeguards are not responsible for any child after the session ends and the child is signed out.
Content lines up with the Surf Life Saving New Zealand Junior Surf levels and Water Safety New Zealand "Water Skills For Life" competencies. This increases the sense of progression for participants and makes the transfer to a Surf Club junior surf programme simple should your child(ren) want to join one of our 17 Surf Life Saving Clubs in the Northern Region or anywhere else in the country for that matter!
For more information about Junior Surf; visit: http://www.lifesaving.org.nz/clubs/find-a-club/
Learn to enjoy New Zealand's favourite playground - play safe at the beach and in the surf.Age-appropriate
Age-appropriate learning in a fun atmosphere