City Nippers is a dynamic and interactive programme for children delivered by Surf Lifeguards which provides surf safety and beach awareness for 5 to 11 year olds. This programme will introduce your child to the open water environment and build their confidence in the sea so they can safely enjoy New Zealand's favourite playground.
This summer City Nippers is offering 5 session programmes over term 4 2021 and term 1 2022 (at two Auckland based locations) , the January School holidays at 5 Auckland locations and for those heading to the bach through January, City Nippers Getaway will run in Northland!
We would love the opportunity to cater to higher needs participants so please do get in touch if you have a keen bean who may need an adaptive version of the programme.
Each course consists of 5 vibrant fun-filled, 2-hour beach sessions (less if there are public holidays in the week). Surf Lifeguards will teach your child(ren) water safety messages and skills.
The five sessions are:
• Beach Awareness: all the surf safety skills and messages that make a summer swimmer savvy
• Safe Boating by Coastguard Boating Education: everything your little ones need to be smart nippers at sea
• Rips and Rescues: Getting yourself or someone else out of a sticky situation and thinking ahead to avoid risky situations altogether!
• Floatilla: Body boards, knee board action! (BYO SUPs and surfboards welcome but not necessary)
• Coastal Carnival: Get a taste of What a Surf Life Saving Carnival (competition) is all about with added fun games and quizzes to check the knowledge and skills learnt over the week.
All sessions have swimming lessons, fun games, quizzes and races so we know they have the basics for your summer adventures.
By popular demand this season, both Nippers (8-11 yr olds) and Tadpoles (5-7 yr olds) will run concurrently.
The more parents we have in the water and participating in games, the more fun everyone has so bring your tribe and make a week of it. Lifeguards are not responsible for any child after the session ends and the child is signed out. This is not a drop off programme, A responsible adult must be present throughout the programme.
Content lines up with the Surf Life Saving New Zealand Junior Surf levels and Water Safety New Zealand "Water Skills For Life" competencies. This increases the sense of progression for participants and makes the transfer to a Surf Club junior surf programme simple should your child(ren) want to join one of our 18 Surf Life Saving Clubs in the Northern Region or anywhere else in the country for that matter!
For more information about Junior Surf; visit: http://www.lifesaving.org.nz/clubs/find-a-club/